Tuesday, February 19, 2008

How I Told...

The girls.

It occurs to me that I never told anyone how I told my three closest friends that I was pregnant.
As you'll recall from Cara's post ages ago, I was the only one in our group that WASN'T pregnant.
I wouldn't say that I was heartbroken at being the only one without child, but I was disappointed and felt quite left out--even though I have wonderful friends and they would never make me feel that way! You know how it is.
Well, imagine my surprise when the very next week (literally, like four days later), my pregnancy test came back positive.
I stewed and stewed about a fantastic way to tell my friends that I was one of them now. I mean, think of it. What are the odds that all four of us would get pregnant at the same time? It needed to be fabulous.
So...I created a necklace for each of us. For Naomi, I made it with sapphires for September, for Sarah and Cara, amethysts for February and for myself aquamarines for March.
On the next day of our girls night (at the Sorenson's), I made sure to pick an outfit that would go with my necklace and wore it all day (and received many complements!). On my way to Sarah's house that evening she and I chatted on the phone. I told her I hadn't slept well that night and didn't feel very good. She said, "Are you pregnant?" I felt SO bad lying to her, but I lied. I didn't want to ruin my surprise.
As we all gathered in the living room with our cheesecake, I handed out envelopes to the girls, saying, "These are for all my PREGNANT friends."
Inside with each necklace was a card that read:
"A necklace to represent your little one (or something like that--I can't remember):
September 25--Sapphire
February 20--Amethyst
February 25--Amethyst
March 12--Aquamarine."

I waited nervously, playing with my necklace and watched my friend's brains twisting and turning. They were totally silent...until Sarah TOTALLY. FLIPPED.
I remember lots of screaming and crying and being called a liar by Sarah. Haha!! I SO deserved it, but it was totally worth it.
Until Sophia was born, we were all pregnant together. And then for ONE WEEK until Natalie was born, we were all pregnant together again (though, of course, we didn't know it!). I just can't imagine what God has in store for the four of us and our children that He would have orchestrated something so very special.

8 comments:

angie said...

awww goosebumps! that is so dang sweet. i can't get over how neat it is that you all got to share your pregnancies together!

Lis said...

Yeah that is a great story, cept my mom asked for grandkids for her birthday which is today...hmmm...

it's definitely a special time you four will all remember and talk about forever!

Cara said...

OMG. That gave me goosebumps, and I already knew and lived the story! God does have a special plan for all of this, and I can't be more thankful than for the friends that He has chosen to place in my life at this very PREGNANT time.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

What a great story, Erin! It is such a blessing to have friends who can go through the parenting thing with you. And someday you'll get to tell this great story to your baby.

Kara Jo said...

I'm with the others--awesome story. I'm excited for you all just reading it! It is such a very precious blessing to enter motherhood with your dearest pals; there are few things I am more thankful for in life, honestly. So happy for you!

Anonymous said...

That is a great story! What a cool way to announce your part in the group!! My close friends and I have all gone through pregnancy at different times, but it would have been nice to go through it all together!

Jolene said...

This was so cool to read - thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

I will never forget that day. I was so excited (still am) that we were all going to become moms at around the same time! I love you and thank you for your friendship throughout the years!

Sarah