Thursday, September 6, 2007

How I told...

...Richard

I took Thursday and Friday off after the 4th of July, but since Richard works from home, he didn't have to. Despite this, however, he had to work a couple of (EIGHT!) hours on July 5th. He left me home to sleep in and do whatever I wanted on my day off.
I woke up earlier than normal and thought, "Maybe I'll just take that Dollar Store pregnancy test. Just to see." I really didn't think it would lead to anything, but I was home alone so why not?
So, I took the test.
The FAINTEST line appeared. So faint, in fact, that when I turned the test toward the light to see it better, the line disappeared. It was like a pregnancy hologram.
So, by this time I was feeling an adrenaline rush and my hands were shaking. I hurried to the bedroom and got dressed to run out and buy another test.
I couldn't spot my keys on the counter, so I figured they must be in the car. I ran down to the garage--no keys. I ran back upstairs and looked harder around the kitchen and living room. I dumped out my purse--no keys.
Finally, I called Rich. Turns out he had THREE SETS of keys with him that day by accident.
I didn't want to tell him what was going on over the phone because it wouldn't have been as fun, so I had to wait ALL. DAY. for Richard to come home. It was probably the longest day of my life.
When he finally got home, I couldn't take it any more and showed him the dud test. He said, "Well , why don't you just go out and buy another one?"
I think I said something like, "No sh*t, Sherlock! I've been waiting all day!" but I can't remember. He'd have to tell you for sure. He laughed and I ran off to Target.
When I got there, I looked for the most expensive pregnancy test I could find. I spent $22 on a digital test. I wasn't taking any freaking chances on this one.
I raced home, raced up the stairs and took the second test, which lit up like a Christmas Tree.
I took it back to the basement to show Rich. He said, "Did you take it already?" And I held it out to him to see. He threw his controller (he was playing Halo with Jared) across the room, grabbed me and pulled me to the floor next to him without saying a word.
About 30 seconds went by before he said, "Holy crap."

2 comments:

Katie R. said...

How fun! I can't wait to hear the other "How We Told..." stories. That's one of the best things during the beginning part of pregnancy.

Naomi said...

Ha ha! I love that story! I have heard it at least three times already, but every time I hear it again, it makes me break into the biggest smile. I know that intense rush of overwhelming excitement that engulfs your whole being at the moment of realization! How exciting! Thanks for sharing the story!