Saturday, September 1, 2007

Maternity Schmanernity

After spending the day shopping the Wausau Goodwill, maternity boutiques and consignment shops, I've discovered something very important:
I am the only pregnant woman in the world over 5'6" tall.
I'm not kidding. I am alone.
After some online research, Mom and I have determined that if you are over 70 inches tall, one of your only options for pants that don't make people wonder if we're expecting rain is to spend $68 at Gap.com. (Maybe no big deal for some girls, but I have a hard time spending that kind of money on a pair of pants I won't be wearing at this time next year.)
I will forge on, however.
We still have to hit JCPenny tomorrow and from there, THE WORLD!
Here's the thing about maternity clothes--manufacturers have me exactly where they want me. What am I going to do? Wear sweat pants and huge t-shirts to meetings and customer visits for the next 6 months? When you start out shopping for maternity clothes, you are horrified at the prices. So horrified in fact, that by the time you see a long-sleeved t-shirt for $24, you are thrilled at finding such a great deal.
What can I do? I'm a chubby, busty (and consequentially self-conscious wanting to suddenly be oh-so-stylish), emotional, hormonally imbalanced, growing girl.
I will continue to scan the Sunday paper and clearance racks until things get really bad.
Here's hoping things to don't get that bad.

*It's definitely worth mentioning that my honey stood next to me near a clearance rack on his crutches and so patiently said, "You don't have to buy all your clothes right now, so why don't you just buy some things you really like?" He doesn't know it, but he very nearly had a chubby, busty (and consequentially self-conscious wanting to suddenly be oh-so-stylish), emotional, hormonally imbalanced wife burst into tears right then and there--just because he was so nice.
Ah, pregnancy.

Knew it would be hard
to find tall pregnancy pants
won't give up that quick!

Good thing it's still a
little early for new clothes.
Got more time to shop!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to prove you wrong, I am pregnant and 5'8"! And don't forget, I found XL LONG maternity jeans at Old Navy just last week for $3.97. I also got my dress pants on clearance at gap.com, and oldnavy.com--just keep checking the website. I understand your desire to still be stylish, which is why I shop at these locations, because it is the same style you can buy in the "regular women" sections, they are just cut for prego women too! Maybe we should go shopping together??? I would LOVE to help you find the stylish, CHEAP deals!

:)

~CARA

Lis said...

My sister who is somewhere around 5'7" or 5'8" said she went to JC Penny, she also suggested EBay, get a button extender and wear men's pants, or she said if the worst comes to worse she said to get some nice lace or ribbon to put on the bottom to make the pants look longer. She also mentioned Once Upon a Child-finally she said elastic waist, elastic waste,elastic waist. Or concentrate on flowing dresses if you can't find anything. ooh she also mentioned like Children's consignment shops. Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

Just be thankful that whatever you find will be something other than the big-paneled horrid nastiness that I got to wear. They're too big when you're little and too little when you're big. And try to find shirts long enough to cover not only the bump, but the lovely panel corners that love to creep down toward your knees...AND they feel like you're wearing them BACKWARDS!

Ah, memories. :)