Friday, September 7, 2007

How we told...

...the Fam.

It took me a full week to convince my parents to come over for the weekend. For some reason they just weren't moved by my "I just miss you guys" argument and for a few minutes there, I didn't think they were going to come and we would have to take drastic measures.
Luckily they committed to coming up a week after we found out. In the mean time, I begged my sister to come over because I just "need some girl time." She said, "What? Are you pregnant or something?" I didn't know I was that transparent.
The afternoon my parents were scheduled to come, Richard and I drove in an extensive loop. We started in Hudson where we told Rich's family, which was very fun. We were all sitting outside and Richard made a comment about how Bob looks "pretty good for a grandpa."
There was a pause in the conversation and Brenda said, "Are you pregnant?!"
While we were sitting there laughing and talking, Mandi called Bob. Bob handed the phone to Rich who said, "Hey, how would you feel if Erin and I had a baby?"
She said, "Well, that would be ok, but shouldn't you talk to her?" (or something like that), and then she figured out that it was a little too late for him to be asking her permission.
Mandi definitely wins the prize for the best reaction because after she figured it out, she cried and cried and CRIED. It was awesome.
We also told Jeff (Richard's brother) while we were at the house. He gave hugs and then asked if it was a boy or girl. I thought that was cute.
From Hudson we drove out to Balsam Lake to tell my grandmothers, who, frankly, weren't very surprised. Happy, but not surprised. Haha. Grandma Shirley took us out to dinner and told the waitress, "My granddaughter is pregnant." The waitress was like, "Uh...ok..."
After that, I called my brother who swore he would be here by the time the baby is born (keep your fingers crossed!), and asked if it was a boy or girl. Haha--I guess young men don't know much about this stuff yet! Then we drove back to Roseville where my parents were waiting at the house with Lauren.
They were eating pizza when we came in and I decided to take the same tactic as Richard.
"You know, you guys look really good. You look really young."
They said, "Thanks, Erin..."
I said, "I don't think anyone would suspect that you're about to be grandparents."
Once again, not too surprised but very happy.
Haha--I guess when you've been married a couple of years people start to wonder...

5 comments:

erin said...

Yikes--long post. Sorry, guys.

Katie R. said...

Excellent post! Reacations, from family and loved ones, are so much fun.

Kristin said...

I tried to sound surprised, but I wasn't. Not surprised but thrilled. Is that an okay response, thrilled?

Mandi said...

The best part was that after I got off the phone with you guys...I was sitting at my desk and just started CRYING randomly all night. My coworkers were a little freaked out.

Unknown said...

Jamie and I are so happy for you and Richard! I also told my family - they all say congrats! Take care of yourself and your little one on the way!