Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Melon, anyone?

Yesterday I mentioned to Richard that my uterus is the size of a small melon this week.
He oh-so-thoughtfully pointed out that that's not all that's the size of a melon these days.
TMI? We're all friends here.

Ah, pregnancy.

This week, Baby Ajax* is 5-inches from crown to rump, and according to one source weighs 5oz (this conflicts with my book that says Ajax weighs about 3.5oz). Either way--more than a candy bar! Ajax' sense of hearing is starting to develop (interestingly enough, I watched a documentary that says that baby can REALLY only hear Mother's voice, laughter, and singing until it is born, though, it recognizes Father mostly by smell when it is born. Cool, huh?), along with his/her skeleton, which, until now was rubbery cartiledge.

I am still not really showing, but I can feel my uterus getting heavier. If I'm laying on my back (which, apparently, I'm not supposed to be doing anymore), and turn to my side, I can feel my uterus changing positions in my abdomen. A VERY weird feeling.




*I intend to call the baby "Ajax" until Lauren catches on. She chose the name almost a year ago for her fictional baby and says I can't have it. It's so funny, though, that I just can't help myself. Sorry, Schmoo. It's just the perfect in-utero name.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really interesting about how the baby recognizes their father by smell. How does that work??

Can you believe you're almost halfway there? I am so excited to be sharing this incredible experience with you!!!

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Love, Sarah

Anonymous said...

Oops, I just read the posting below this one that said cold: draining.

I hope you feel better soon!

Sarah

erin said...

The smells (and tastes) that I take in are somehow transferred to the amniotic fluid, which Ajax swallows until born. Because of this, the more varied my diet, the more varied Ajax' tastes will be. God is SO cool.

erin said...

*And since I can recognize Richard by smell alone (supposedly), so can Ajax.

zcoffeegirl said...

This is such a fun blog...I am thrilled to read about baby Ajax. What a miracle..some of my favorite thoughts about being a mom are the experiences that you are having right now. Not the cold...or trying to wash dishes when your stomach is ..wait..that's later...but the little life that is being created... I'm praying for you, too, and that sweet little one.

Laura said...

Hi! I just ran across your blog and wanted to say congrats! I'm also pregnant (Due Feb 23rd). This is my second one. With my first I seemed to have lots of colds, and I just got over one. Your doctor should have a list of safe meds you could take. I took Tylonal cold (day and night formulas) and it helped a lot! HOpe you feel better soon! Here's my blog link if you want to check me out. http://tightknitwithgod.blogspot.com/

Mandi said...

Cartilage**, my dear english major.

theswamphare said...

"The size of Melons?

Did the 'Titty Faerie' visit your house?

kathaleend said...

Titty Faerie? The beer fairie is the only one who comes here? Is there a complete list of faeries somewhere? And how do you request a visit? I need the floor mopping faerie..

erin said...

No, Mandi.
Carti-ledge.
Obviously. Der.

erin said...

And Swampy, yes. Melons. You can't make this stuff up.
Also, "Faerie?"
What are you, a 15-year-old goth chick?

theswamphare said...

Oh, did goth chicks originate classic English? If that be the case, I need a new reading list. :)