Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Car Seat Aisle

I think my title says it all.
In other words, HOLY CRAP!
On a whim, I went to Babies R Us today to walk around and get my bearings before it's time to register.
The woman handed me a checklist with over 100 items on it.
I made my way through cribs and furniture making sure we made a wise purchase (yes!), and through the pack n play's, then on to the car seat aisle.
Talk about terrifying.
The options are endless, and the carseat is the one thing, the only thing that I am absolutely not willing to skimp on.
A very kind sales girl seemed to pick up on my fear and asked if I needed help.
"Yes!" I said. "How do I know which carseat will keep my baby...alive?"
She laughed and walked me through all my options. She seemed used to dealing with terrified mothers-to-be.
I admit that I was hesitant to register at BRU, because of their obnoxious commercials, but I have to say that after I was treated (with kindness and respect) today, Babies has my heart.


I was so overwhelmed after the visit that I had to go into Ulta and buy myself a treat. I'm sporting new "gold leaf" eyeshadow now. It's the little things...

8 comments:

Laura said...

Hi! I'm flattered you added my blog to your site! I'd love to add you to mine, too! :)

Katie R. said...

Overwhelming, to say the least.

erin said...

Laura, please do!

theswamphare said...

ask Cheryl to help you and then ask the highway patrol lady in Oakdale to ensure that you get it properly installed.

Kristin said...

Installation is critical, here here swampy. Reality is that car seats are designed to protect children from the kind of crash that kills everyone in the car, except the child in the seat. How about you just never have a wreck like that?

Easy in and out of the baby is one of the things I would look for after my recent experiences with seats. There really is a difference. Also, the kind that fit easily into the whole stroller thing is a good thing. Easy to clean, that's important too.

So, there you go.

zcoffeegirl said...

Graco...I love Graco car seats and Graco strollers. Believe me, after 4 kids, and many many other options...Graco is my all time fav. Did I mention Graco? (I have a tall husband and the Graco strollers have taller handles...plus...the car seat in the stroller thing is KEY.)

Carla said...

I hear Graco is pretty good.

Cara said...

Graco all the way! It is the best. And remember, if the car seat is on the amrket, it has been approved. Pick out a print that you like (Graco), and you can't go wrong! But make sure that you have the fire dept. or a trained daycare provider make sure that it has been properly installed! :)

Good luck!