Sunday, December 30, 2007

Uncomfortable

I woke up this morning having some Braxton Hicks contractions. No big deal, right?
The truth is that it really wasn't that painful, just more uncomfortable than anything, and not a very fun way to start the day. The bummer is that I stayed uncomfortable for most of the morning.
This poses a problem.
At work, or in public, or wherever I may happen to be, when people ask me how I am feeling, I can answer one of two ways: 1. I can tell the truth. 2. I can say I am fine. To be fair, #2 is usually the truth. I'm not a total liar.
If I say I am fine, people are thrilled.
If I say I am feeling a little uncomfortable, every. single. person (except Mrs. Gray). says, "If you think you're uncomfortable now..."
In the same vein as Carla's post, I'd like to change this phrase. No, I'd like to obliterate it.
Stop saying that to me. Stop telling me "this is nothing." I really don't have a lot to complain about, I know. Some girls have really hard pregnancies, and I'm so thankful I'm not one of them.
But sometimes, I am uncomfortable.
You asked.

The same goes for, "If you think you're tired now..."
That one's almost worse.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am due March 15, 2008 & was searching for baby blogs to pass the time tonight. I hear you on the being uncomfortable, and I feel like such a wuss when I think about 2 and a half more months of aches & pains :) Just wanting you to know I totally sympathize!

angie said...

ugh. i think i'd have to punch them in the head. is that too mean?

Cara said...

I hear ya! I have become uncomfortable too, and I just look at it like God's way of preparing me for childbirth AGAIN! He gives us little "knudges of uncomfortable-ness" in order to make the ultimate task more reasonable! Hang in there.....

Anonymous said...

I HATE the "if you think you're tired now." News flash people: When the kid comes out, they eventually go to sleep. And since you don't have the kid rolling around inside you anymore, you get to sleep too.

On the bright side, as you get more uncomfortable in pregnancy, you are quicker to point out the stupidity in people's comments. Which makes for some great stories when you're no longer pregnant. LOL!

Hope you feel better!

erin said...

Welcome, Srae! Do you have a blog??
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope you are doing well!
And Jenny--you rule.
Angie, definitely not too mean.
Cara, Thanks for the encouragement. : )

Carla said...

I am so glad you pregnant ladies have each other to blog to. I promise to NEVER say all of the stupid things people say to you!!
Especially this one..
Just wait until they're 2!(4, 8, 13, 21whatever!)

Laura said...

Hey Erin! I have a silly question. Having never felt any contractions of any sort with the first one, and nothing so far with #2... what do they feel like? 3-8 weeks left for me. Baby is due Feb 23, but #1 came 3 weeks early... so who knows...

erin said...

Hi, Laura! To me, they feel like sharp cramps. Usually on the sides of my stomach. I thought they were my ligaments stretching, but wouldn't go away when I rearranged my position. I'm not for SURE that they are BH contractions, but I'm not sure what else they could be.

Leslie Willard said...

How about, "You're almost there!" :)

theswamphare said...

When people say daft things to me, I always reply in a non-sequitor, something like: "Yeah, but Yoda in a bowtie?"