Thursday, December 13, 2007

Pride? Puh! Who needs it?

I managed to do ALMOST ALL of my Christmas shopping last night.
I braved the crowds with my trusty list (which I opened today--I was checkin' it twice!--and ripped in half. GASP! Jenny, I thought of you and your precious lists :) and spent a LOT of money. It's quite the shocker when you do it all at once and you see that bill at the end of your efforts. Yikes. I was on my feet for 5 hours straight last night and I'm paying for it today. I'm tired, sore and cranky.
I was about a half-hour into my shopping extravaganza when my vision suddenly went very blurry. I began to shake and sweat and sincerely thought I would faint at the checkout. I made it to my car and sped immediately to Potbelly Sandwich Works (fitting, right?) where I ordered a peanut butter & jelly on wheat (I wanted something with a lot of sugar and protein to get my blood sugar back up), with chips, juice and a chocolate-banana malt.
I ate so fast that I'm surprised I didn't choke. I was FAMISHED, literally.
I finished my record time and immediately wanted more.
I went back to the counter and ordered another hoagie. While I was standing in line, I tried to rub my pregnant belly as much as I could in case anyone noticed that I was on my SECOND. SANDWICH. How humiliating.
The girl finished fixing my sandwich, turned around and hollered to me, "Are you going to eat this one here, too?"
Um, yep. Thanks.

New rule: Don't let your blood sugar get below FOUR when you are pregnant.

8 comments:

erin said...

90 days, today.

kristi noser said...

No more driving with low blood sugar. I meannit.
(anybody wanna peanut?)

Mandi said...

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches sucked SO MUCH to make. We had to take special precautions for "peanut allergies." Just because you ordered it, i'm going to bore you with the steps. That's what you get.

Step 1: change gloves
Step 2: get ingredients together
Step 3: get special knife
Step 4: retrieve bread from oven
Step 5: Spread peanut butter on bread
Step 6: Spread jelly on bread
Step 7: wrap sandwich
Step 8: cut sandwich
Step 9: put in bag/basket
Step 10: throw away garbage
Step 11: rewrap special knife in paper
Step 12: sanitize station
Step 13: remove gloves, wash hands
Step 14: New gloves.

I hope you feel a tiny bit bad for ordering TWO pb&j sandwiches, and putting some poor soul through this process.

Katie R. said...

sigh.... would you PLEASE keep some crackers or a granola bar in your purse or something?

Anonymous said...

You cannot go shopping without a list!! Especially pregnant! I can't remember squat - I'd forget everything without a list. LOL!

I am having the same problem with the lightheaded, almost-losing-consciousness thing. I had it when I was pregnant with Jacey too.

Definitely start carrying granola bars or peanut butter crackers. They also make 6-packs of Ocean Spray juices now. I threw one of them in the diaper bag to carry around. The magic solution that I found is a chocolate almond bar made by Kashi. They have protein, fiber and balance blood sugar. Check, check, count me in.

zcoffeegirl said...

Ditto the snacks in your purse, girlie. Love the juice idea. Promise us you won't drive again with low blood sugar....stash your purse, stash the car..dash away, dash away dash away all.

Anonymous said...

Erin,
Glucose Tablets called Dex 4 relieves low blood sugar and will boost your energy.
No fat,gluten,sodium or caffeine. They taste very good "raspberry" is the best flavor. Work faster than any food. If you need a fast pick up drink orange juice. I keep these in my purse,work and next to the bed. NO DRIVING when you are hypoglycemic very dangerous idea! Best part:CHEAP won't cut into your xmas shopping money. MomII

Anonymous said...

Erin,
Glucose Tablets called Dex 4 relieves low blood sugar and will boost your energy.
No fat,gluten,sodium or caffeine. They taste very good "raspberry" is the best flavor. Work faster than any food. If you need a fast pick up drink orange juice. I keep these in my purse,work and next to the bed. NO DRIVING when you are hypoglycemic very dangerous idea! Best part:CHEAP won't cut into your xmas shopping money. MomII