Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Big Kid

Who is that Big Kid walking toward the swings? Oh, that's my baby. Where did the time go?
It's fun to watch her grow and change now. As you may remember, I used to grieve over the changes in Shirley Jean. Now it's fun to watch her learn and grow. (Thank you, God, for changing my heart.)
Some fun facts about Shirley at almost 18-months:
-She says "Mama," but not necessarily to me.
-She said, "shoe" for the first time today.
-She says, "All done!" when the bowl is empty.
-More often than not, "No" means yes.
-Obeying is not necessarily her first priority.
-She has a weakness for boxes of tissues. Still. It's like a magnet drawing her to be naughty. She can hardly resist. She doesn't resist.
-Shirley has turned into quite the climber. I sincerely believe her mentality is, "The world is my oyster. I'm going to climb it."
-She does not deal with frustration well, often trying something once or twice, then going into the tripod position in frustration.
-She frequently mimics the noises we make, grunting when we pick her up, coughing when we cough, sighing when we sigh.
-She "talks" from the moment she wakes up to the moment she goes to sleep, though she really doesn't have many more words than what I've mentioned in other posts and above.
-I firmly believe that when she starts talking, it will be in full sentences and I will pull my hair out at the roots.
-She loves music--she dances, sings and claps her hands to any music she hears.
-She loves her shapes puzzles (you know those wooden ones?) and can actually put the pieces where they go. (I think she is a genius child.)
-She keeps putting pony-tail holders on her ankles. I do not understand this. Perhaps it has something to do with her genius?

7 comments:

Kara Jo said...

Love it. Thanks for posting.

Oh, and the "tripod position..." Ha!

Jodi said...

Love that Shirley Bug.

Unknown said...

Awww! She sounds like so much fun. I love how you described her weakness for boxes of Kleenex. Adorable!!!

angie said...

i agree--she IS a genius child!

Unknown said...

I'm thinking the pony tail holders are the next fad. Like bringing leg warmers back from the 80's.

Earl said...

The first two lines.... they really hit home. I look forward to all of our girls growing up together and hope they become close friends.

Anonymous said...

Marlo's baby likes to put daddy's wedding ring on his big toe. Maybe he's a genius too ;)

Bia