Friday, July 18, 2008

Nature and Nurture

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.
-Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing;
Robinson, 1758 & Wyeth 1813

My daughter's sinful nature is beginning to show. I've noticed it over the past couple of weeks. Sometimes she doesn't cry because she needs something. Sometimes she just cries because she hasn't gotten her way. Like when I de-latch her for using ...er...Mommy as a teether. Or when it's nap time, but she had other plans. Or if she's decided that she's been watching me load the dishwasher for too long.
I've been waiting for this to happen, and I can't imagine more pertinent timing with her dedication coming up tomorrow evening. My baby belongs to God and is made in His image, despite her imperfections and sinful nature, and one day she will trust Jesus Christ as her savior. Just like Mama and Daddy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am moved beyond words. Shirley is blessed to have you for a mother. As I am blessed to have you for daughter. lovemom

Anonymous said...

The poem is beautiful!

They are so sweet, but that sinful nature comes through pretty quick. I have two temper-criers. The little man was throwing himself out of carseat at 4 months.