Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Fifth Generation


Dear Erin & Richard:
I'm not going to write every night, but I do want to tell you some things tonight. I thought all day of her little face and her big eyes and little nose and chin, topped by red hair. She's a very beautiful baby! That's even with my bad eyesight. After you nursed her, I held her, and she laid there with her eyes open and stared right at me for the longest time. I hope what she saw was how much I love her. Her little hands gripped my fingers so tight ... a feeling I'll remember every day. Just wanted you to know that you have a very pretty baby.
I love you both and Shirley Jean.
Gram Helga

9 comments:

kristi noser said...

Awesome picture and letter. Thanks Erin.
Thanks Gram Helga.

Carla said...

Oh my heart. Sitting here crying over the love of grandmas and their grandbabies. Awwwwwwww

Anonymous said...

There are no words for this beautiful picture. Just to sit and take everything that is happening between those two is overwhelming...it makes this grandma's heart feel all the love this woman has had for you Erin. I am so very happy that Shirley and Gram bonded in their special way. MomII

Katie R. said...

....crying. All Grammas are just so very excellent.

Kristin said...

What a treasure. The picture, the words, moments that take your breath away.

angie said...

that's pretty much the sweetest, most endearing thing EVER.

Unknown said...

WOW. That is a great letter and a great photo. Cherish that forever. That is one for the baby book of memories.

Jolene said...

what a treasure!

Kara Jo said...

I echo the others. What precious sentiments to treasure.