Monday, August 10, 2009

Terror

Reasons I am terrified of having Baby #2:
1. Shirley is going to feel betrayed. Think of it. We spend just about every waking moment together, and most sleeping moments. I feel so guilty already.
2. It's not as if mothering a toddler is a cake walk. Is SJ suddenly going to become EASY once there is a demanding infant in the home? I'm fairly sure you can follow my logic here.
3. Morning / all day sickness + the worst cold since the Fall of Man + Toddler = Trouble.

I find solace in a couple of things:
1. Nobody would do this if it was everything I'm afraid of, and almost all of the families I know have more than one child (except those who are just getting started!).
2. Does anybody really think this stuff through? Do I think too hard?
3. I must have had fears about Shirley Jean (I can't for the life of me remember what they were...and they were probably ridiculous anyway), but the joy and fulfillment I've had from my Shirley Girl have made my entire life worth living.

That's about all I've got to go on.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Two children are a very nice balance of beautiful moments and chaotic moments. The crying hardly phases me most days :) And yes, you will feel guilty about taking attention away from Shirley. But it will only be like that for a few months. Before you know it they will be playing together!

Kelli said...

I think most moms feel like you do at some point in time. But, if you read your third point under "solace", you'll put the fear monger in his place.

You're a great mom to Shirley and you'll be a great mom to the new one, too. And as for Shirley? She'll get over it. :)

angie said...

i'd say that's enough to go on. :) you're an amazing mamma to SJ. you'll be an amazing mamma to SJ and baby D when s/he gets here, too. and everything will work out, and you'll wonder what you were so scared about.

Cara said...

I remember when I was in the midst of horrible contractions with Eva, still at home, I needed to go say goodbye to Emma before we left for the hospital. I ran upstairs to her sleeping in her toddler bed, kissed her on the cheek, and told her she would always be the favorite! And the rest is history. With each child comes another batch of love to give.....

And I don't remember you having morning sickness with SJ, did you? It must be a boy?

Hang in there--you can do it! ;)

Jolene said...

**hugs** you don't need more words of wisdom - your friends covered it all beautifully. and when it comes down to it, that's what family is all about. giving and taking and loving all. a year from now, you won't be able to imagine life without them both - together :)

Carla said...

Honey,
Everything is going to be just fine.

Kara Jo said...

Erin! Where have I been--I didn't know you were pregnant!!! Congratulations! And ditto to what the others said. Both of your little ones will be so blessed to have you as their mama.

Really...where have I been? In a fog, I tell ya. I'm gonna have to scroll through your posts to see when the announcement was made...

Love you :)

Kara Jo said...

P.S. Yay--you and Naomi get the share the journey together again--so fun!