Wednesday, December 16, 2009

26

I had a doctor's appointment last week, which went very well. BittyWee's heartrate is around 150, and my blood pressure was at 108/60, which was good to hear since I'd been having such crazy nosebleeds and headaches the week before. Fern wants me to keep a close eye on my headaches, but since week 24, I haven't really had any problems.
I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but I feel like BittyWee has gone through a major growth spurt in the last week or so. All of a sudden, doing regular jobs are getting a lot harder, and my stomach is getting a lot more cumbersome. There isn't really anywhere for SJ to put her leg when I hold her on my hip anymore! My lap is also getting a lot shorter for story time. :)
People ask me all the time if Shirley knows there's a baby in there. I think Shirley knows something is going on, but I highly doubt she has any idea what's coming. I've been trying to use Christmas as an opportunity to teach her about babies, talking about Baby Jesus ("Beebee!!!"), etc., but I don't think any of this will hit home for her until BittyWee is here for about a week and doesn't leave. We may have an issue then. :)
I have noticed many Braxton-Hicks contractions this week. I didn't have any with Shirley. They're weird.
Anyway, here are some factoids about BittyWee:
The network of nerves in your baby's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before. He may now be able to hear both your voice and your partner's as you chat with each other. He's inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of his lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when he's born and takes that first gulp of air. And he's continuing to put on baby fat. He now weighs about a pound and two-thirds and measures 14 inches (an English hothouse cucumber) from head to heel. If you're having a boy, his testicles are beginning to descend into his scrotum — a trip that will take two to three days.

No comments: