Saturday, December 27, 2008

A New Christmas Tradition

For as long as I can remember, my mom has picked out a special ornament for us for Christmas. She likes to choose one that represents a major event in our year. For instance, last year, Richard got a home-made ornament: a chicken leg bone broken in half and "fixed" with two screws. Get it?
Well, I want to do the same thing for our children. I wanted Shirley's first ornament to be something very special...so, I preserved* the shoe she wore on the day she was dedicated and turned it into her very first ornament. I plan to do this for all of our children. Cool, right? It's very simple, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.
I love you, my girl. Thank you for a special Christmas.


*To preserve the shoe, I dipped it in craft starch and let it dry for 24 hours, then re-dipped twice. It is stiff and should hopefully stay as white as possible over the years.

8 comments:

Jodi said...

Awesome! You're such a great mommy!

Jolene said...

THAT is a creative, awesome, fabulous, terrific idea! I already can't wait to see next year's. Nice work, Momma!

(and happy first Christmas, little SJ!)

NoOtherName said...

Rock ON! That is way cute and so special...AND a whole heckuva a lot cheaper than a Hallmark ornament!

NoOtherName said...

By the way, I thought of a new one...

"Shirley Jean, Smile Machine"

:)

angie said...

this is brilliant! what a special, and beautiful, idea.

Carla said...

Sweet, sweet, sweet. I can't even stand how sweet that is!!

Katie R. said...

Erin, you are such a great mommy! How special for Shirley to have YOU.

Kelli said...

My sister, Kori, did the same thing with her boys. Every year, she'd get them an ornament and put their height and weight on it. When they left home, she handed them all a box of their past with all the milestones included.

Special and sweet, just like Shirley-Girly