Thursday, January 20, 2011

Richard!

I guess since I've done such a lousy job of blogging in 2011 (ok, let's be honest...for most of 2010 and ALL of 2011 so far, but who's counting?), I think the best thing to do would be to give an overall update of what's been going on with the Haiku Babies.
Where to start??
I think the best place to start is with Baby Richard. What a sweetie pie my little boy is. Since I last wrote, he has become proficient at:
-Pulling himself into a sitting position (this may not seem like much, but it was a major turning point at our house!).
-Pulling himself up on everything.
-Using his new found skill of pulling up to reach for anything and everything within his little arm span that looks like it might be a.) interesting, b.) dangerous, c.) completely inappropriate for a baby.
-Crawling on all fours (though I have to admit, I miss the army crawl).
-Saying, "Hi!" (I know. I can hardly believe it myself.)
- Waving (I admit, it's more of a salute than a wave, so he's not exactly proficient, but we're working on it.).
-Scooting along the edge of the couch.
-Playing peek-a-boo with a towel or cloth diaper--all on his own! He thinks he's so funny, too.
Richard loves to eat. I have not found a food that this boy refuses to eat. He doesn't necessarily love green vegetables, but that baby bird mouth opens up for whatever I offer, no matter what. His favorite foods consist of anything orange! He loves squash, peaches, carrots and especially sweet potatoes.
He loves following his sister around and at any given chance reaches for a fistful of her hair. His hobbies include: playing in the dog water, playing in the bathroom garbage, playing with the dishwasher door, pulling the canned goods out of the pantry, begging for food and eating stickers.
He also loves music and singing and dancing. When he hears a tune he likes, he sits up and wiggles on his bottom. grooving to the music.
Richard hates having his nose wiped. It is personally offensive to him to have this done. I don't get it.
Richard is ALL BOY. He is constantly covered in bruises and scrapes. My friends assure me this is normal for boys, but I can't quite get used to it.
When he was born, I didn't know how having a boy would be different than a girl. He surprises me every day with his sweet antics and interests, and has quickly become this mama's pride and joy. We are so blessed with the calling to raise a boy. What joy Richard Joseph has brought into our home!

Point in case: Richard took a major dive a couple weeks ago and scraped up the end of his nose. I was so ashamed, we didn't leave the house for a week.

Notice the rainbow of bruises on his forehead...previous injuries. Sigh.

Enjoying a dill pickle...

Ready for breakfast!

Oh, so handsome.

5 comments:

Jolene said...

Yay! What an awesome post. Hello little Richard - you are getting so big. What a doll. Thanks for the great update, Erin!

Lauren said...

Great post!! When he's older you should use it as a Singles Ad--he sounds like quite the catch! :)

Also, remember how much SJ loved sweet potatoes?

What a perfect little family you guys have. :)

Kara Jo said...

Enjoyed the post! "Little Bird Mouth!" Hehe. They have such sweet little bird mouths, don't they?
...And the battered and bruised pics--oh goodness. Yes, you definitely have a boy. No need to be ashamed, dear one. :)

erin said...

Thanks, you guys. Xoxo

angie said...

boy, boy, boy! what a BOY you have there! i love this post--love the milestones and memories you've captured. p.s. i'd really like to hear him say "hi" on video or something. :)