Monday, March 2, 2009

Fifth Disease

After spending HOURS at the clinic today, we have determined that SJ has Fifth Disease, which is basically a viral infection that makes her very cranky. As you can see above (sort of), her cheeks are more rosy than usual and what you can't see is the weird rash that starts at her hair line and goes all the way down to her shoulders and torso. She will be just fine and the doctor told me to do what I could to keep her comfortable in the mean time, alternating between tylenol and ibuprophen because she probably has a headache.
Symptoms are supposed to subside after 1-3 weeks, and since it's been a week already, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because I want my flirtations little girl back! She has been so clingy and afraid of strangers-- my "independent woman" is just not herself.
p.s. Shirley weighs 20lbs and 2/3oz. : )

5 comments:

Mark and Jonay said...

Fifth disease? That's the best name they could come up with? I hope little Shirley gets better soon!

Carla said...

Feel better Shirley and Mommy!!

angie said...

awww poor little lamb! i hope she recovers soon!

Katie R. said...

Isaiah had that in kindergarten and Anna and I caught it after him. It's not that much fun. I hope Shirley feels better soon.

Cara said...

Emma had Fifth's for her 1st birthday! We all FREAKED out because that is when Naomi was nannying, and it can be dangerous if a pregnnat woman comes in contact with a child with Fifth's if they didn't have it as a child. As I was telling Naomi this, her jaw dropped and she informed me she WAS pregnant. It was a scary day. Emma was CRANKY. Hope SJ is better soon so she can come to Eva's birthday party!