Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Richard Joseph

Last week was a very big week for Baby Richard. On Wednesday, July 7, he rolled over for the first time. He rolled back to front, which I think means he is highly intelligent. ...Except for the fact that he tends to get high-centered and can't get back on his back, which makes him angry. Very, very angry. Then, on Thursday, he laughed! I know you will agree with me when I say: there is nothing in the world like the sound of your child's laugh. My favorite part? He has such a masculine laugh! Where Shirley used to giggle, Richard literally guffaws.
Richard absolutely loves his sister. When she is in his eyeline (which often isn't very long!), he coos and babbles to her. He finds her completely mesmerizing. When I see his love for her, I feel like my heart might literally burst out of my chest.
He is a very focused nurser. Remember how Shirley used to play games with me while she nursed? Richard will have none of that. I think it's safe to say that he is a boob man, through and through.
Richard could take or leave his pacifier, but if he has something to snuggle--a blanket, cloth diaper, or taggy blanket--he is soothed and content. He LOVES being held, and loves to be held as tight and compact as possible while being rocked to sleep. When I sing to him, he looks me right in the eye. When he smiles, he smiles with his whole body! His arms flail, his legs kick and he rolls his head back and forth to show his pleasure.
A couple weeks ago, he discovered his fingers, which are ALWAYS in his mouth. He also has discovered that he can touch and feel things with his fingers. He doesn't have a lot of control, but when he tries to touch my face, I can't help but fight the tears of happiness. When Daddy nibbles Richard's tummy, he grabs Daddy's ears as if to say, "Stop it! Don't stop! Stop it!"
My sweet boy is growing so fast--we couldn't be more proud. (Can you tell?)

We are publically dedicating Richard Joseph to God at the 10:30 service at church this weekend. We would be truly honored if you wanted to join us for the very special service.

Here is Mr. Richard showing off one of his many skills: rolling over and screaming his head off!

1 comment: